Most may not equate anything Irish with anywhere in Midwest, but actually Indianapolis has a strong Irish ancestry history dating back to the early 1800’s. Many came westward in search of jobs, working to create canals and roadways. Many more came years later trying to escape the Irish Potato Famine, and once settled worked hard on relief efforts to support those suffering back home. In fact, today Indy is so proud of their Irish background that each year on St. Patrick’s Day the Indiana Central Canal is dyed green to honor the day.
So, with pride, Claddagh’s, of Indy, would like to share some fun facts about all things Irish.
1. President Obama actually claims Irish heritage. His great great great grandfather emigrated to the U.S. from Ireland.
2. The White House was designed by an Irishman, James Hoban, who won a contest with his design.
3. 900 A.D. was the year the first pub opened in Ireland.
4. Ireland is ranked fourth in consumers of beer per person.
5. The average person in Ireland drinks approximately 1,184 cups of tea per year. This makes them the leader in tea drinking nations.
6. 22…The number of grammy awards won by Irish band U2.
7. The shamrock clover was originally used to represent the Holy Trinity.
8. The average number of glasses of Guinness drunk around the world in any given day is 10 million.
9. Ireland is the place to live if you have Ophidiophobia. There are no snakes in the wild in Ireland.
10. Ossified, fluthered, and scuttered are all Irish words used to mean ‘drunk’.